Whether you are a hearty Minnesotan and want to brave the cold of the winter trails or want to check out the warm indoor attractions, the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum has you covered with free gate admission to all visitors during the entire month of January.
They have an orchid tree in their great hall, Thursday story-times for all ages and seed catalogs for planning your own garden of Eden at home. And with 16 miles of what Mpls. St. Paul magazine has voted best place to snowshoe, you will never get bored with the trails. There is beautiful wildlife and vegetation to check out even in the bitter January temperatures, just remember to bundle up. They have snowshoe and ski-pole rentals, so you don’t even have to bring your own. When you are done, you can come back to a nice warm bowl of soup in the Arboretum’s restaurant!
If we haven’t given you enough reasons to check them out, they have come up with a list of 31 reasons to visit the Arboretum during January, here are the top 10!:
1. Free admission every day in January for you and your family and friends.
2. Sixteen miles of trails for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing. Plus, snowshoe rentals! Rated Best Place to Snowshoe by Mpls. St. Paul magazine and Best Classic Ski place by Minnesota Monthly magazine. Click here for more information and a downloadable map of the trails.
3. Beautiful Orchid Tree and Display in the Great Hall of the Visitor Center, Jan. 13-Feb. 8.
4. Bring the kids for “Plant Partnerships” during Weekend Family Fun at the Learning Center. Drop in between Noon and 4 p.m. every Saturday and Sunday in January to learn how migrating and non-migrating species find sustenance in winter. Free!
5. “Best of the Arboretum Seasons” show and sale by Arboretum Photographers Society, Restaurant Gallery, Jan. 9 – April 6. Drop-in photo clinic weekend schedule to be announced.
6. “Holiday Spirits” art exhibit showcasing the spirit of the holiday and beauty of winter. Featuring Minnesota, national and international artists in the Reedy Gallery. Runs through January 25.
7. Tasty Arboretum soups, salads, sandwiches and more in the Arboretum Restaurant. Saturday and Sunday breakfasts on weekend.
8. Free yoga session for Members! Noon on Thursday, Jan. 1, and Sunday Jan. 18 in the Fireplace Room, Snyder Building.
9. Shopping the Arboretum Gift Store for unique jewelry, home and garden décor, and books! Join as an Arboretum member and get a 10% discount on most store merchandise.
10. Walking the groomed paths through the perennial and wildflower gardens and seeing nature’s handiwork in the intricate bark patterns on birch, coffee trees and more.
Check out the remaining reasons here.
So tell us Twin Cities, have you checked them out in January or will you? Let us know in the comments. And as always, if you like our suggestions for Things to Do, please share with the social media buttons below!
Minnesota Landscape Arboretum
3675 Arboretum Dr
Chaska, MN 55318
Check out their website for visitor information here.