As many are shaking off the specters of last night’s festivities, many may be wondering what’s open and what’s closed today. New Year’s Day fell on a Saturday, so it’s natural to wonder exactly what services are available and what businesses are open today. We thought we’d help.
If you have anything to add, please leave a comment and let our readers know.
• Post Offices: Closed today throughout the metro, except for the 24-hour post office at MSP International Airport. Express mail will be delivered in the Twin Cities
• Restaurants: Most are open. Pretty much all national chains are open regular hours today. If you have a favorite locally-owned restaurant, it’s best to call ahead.
• Malls: Most are open, but may have different hours. Check websites or call mall offices to get exact hours.
• Grocery Stores: Varies. Call ahead or check websites. If you’re unsure, Super Targets and Wal Mart SuperCenters are open.
• Banks: Most big branch offices are closed today, or will be by the time you read this.
• Parking Meters: Will not be enforced in Minneapolis, St. Paul, or at the University of MN. However, meters will be enforced in Minneapolis Parks, unless otherwise noted on the meter.
• Mass Transit: Metro Transit and Minnesota Valley Transit Authority buses and trains run today on Sunday/Holiday schedules. Call (612) 373-3333 or visit http://www.metrotransit.org for route info. Maple Grove Transit, Plymouth Metrolink and Southwest Metro Transit will have no service.
• Schools: All public schools and the University of MN are closed today. Private schools are likely to be closed as well.
• Public Agencies: Local, state and federal offices are closed today.
• Libraries: Will be closed today.
Again, we hope you had a great time ringing in the new year. Make it a safe and happy 2011, Twin Cities!
– The 365 Guys